Friday, January 28, 2011

Murder of David Kato

 Comment in RFI story on the death of David Kato

Fri Jan 28 11:00:39 2011
I am so sorry to hear of the death of David Kato. I was even more sorry to hear that a number of people have died in a similar manner, and also in Mukono. I taught in the Senior School in Mukono from 1966 to 1967. The year I went back to England they repealed the anti-homosexual law regarding adults, and this has benefitted the country in all sorts of ways, for example by removing the possibility of blackmail. It never ceases to surprise me that a civilized country like Uganda hasn't done the same.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not too sure that the definition of the word 'civilised' would be the same in today's Uganda as it is in England.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, fair comment, Anengiyefa: I used the word 'civilised' as part statement, part wish, with the thought in my mind that anything that happens in Uganda may well be observed and copied in other African countries.

    ReplyDelete