Monday, December 6, 2010

Baker's two-dozen

At the moment I am tutoring a student on British political History 1945-1990. It's a painful period, and I'm glad I've given myself a gentle introduction - 'Fifty Years On - a prejudiced History of Britain since the War' by Roy Hattersley. Apart from the statement that Milton Obote was President of Kenya I think it's a brilliant book. I think it's good that 'A' Level History students should be confronted with the question 'Was Thatcher necessary?' As long as they come up with a well-argued and well-supported answer I'm happy.

Kenneth Baker, famous/infamous among teachers for inventing 'Baker Days' for teacher training, also came up with the idea that school History should avoid discussing the last 30 years, lest students and teachers should lose their objectivity. It is ironic that had Baker's 30-year rule been applied I wouldn't now be having a healthy debate with my tutee about the crushing of the unions or whether society exists or not. Fortunately Baker did not get his History No-Go area so students are able to discuss his education policy and the policies of his Mistress.

[On second thoughts, I think it was Kenneth Clarke!]

No comments:

Post a Comment